USPS Quietly Improves Tracking

Live USPS Tracking?

E-tailers and consumers know that USPS tracking is a joke. For several years, Delivery Confirmation (DC) was just what its name implies—a method of checking that a package had been delivered. Although USPS.com displays a “Track and Confirm” search field on their website, DC numbers have historically returned two points of information (acceptance and delivery), coupled with one very misleading statement:

Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

• Your item was accepted at 1:06 PM on May 23, 2008 in St. Louis, MO 63103.

Information was generally not updated until the package had been delivered. More tracking points have begun to show up in the past 5 years, but we were still told to maybe expect more information each evening. Lies.

I happened to check on an incoming Priority shipment last week and noticed a new statement:

The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Bullet Arrival at Post Office, January 06, 2011, 6:53 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Processed through Sort Facility, January 06, 2011, 12:45 am, HAZELWOOD, MO 63042
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 05, 2011
Bullet Acceptance, January 04, 2011, 9:06 am, MERRIFIELD, VA 22081

Well, that’s new, but I wasn’t sure if I should believe it. So I checked again later:

Bullet Out for Delivery, January 06, 2011, 8:10 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Sorting Complete, January 06, 2011, 8:00 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Arrival at Post Office, January 06, 2011, 6:53 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 05, 2011
Bullet Acceptance, January 04, 2011, 9:06 am, MERRIFIELD, VA 22081

What’s this? Live tracking, from USPS?!

Bullet Notice Left, January 06, 2011, 9:13 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Out for Delivery, January 06, 2011, 8:10 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Sorting Complete, January 06, 2011, 8:00 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Arrival at Post Office, January 06, 2011, 6:53 am, MARYVILLE, IL 62062
Bullet Electronic Shipping Info Received, January 05, 2011
Bullet Acceptance, January 04, 2011, 9:06 am, MERRIFIELD, VA 22081

USPS has again failed to announce any of these changes, so it’s hard to say what improvements we’re actually seeing (it could be limited to selected cities). I checked a few random customer shipments and each returned similar tracking information. The Click-n-Ship site also has a new layout, so it’s safe to say they’re rolling out new features:

Improved tracking is a great step forward for the struggling government agency, but this leaves me wondering why it hasn’t been announced.

Has anyone else noticed better USPS tracking?

5 thoughts on “USPS Quietly Improves Tracking”

1. I sent a parcel/document via certified, return receipt and restricted on November 5, 2011. I was told by my postmaster Ms Norma Rosales on the 29th of November, 00725/ 00726 at Caguas Puerto Rico, that it was in the mail . That the Post Office is not responsible for people that do not want to receive their mail. When I said that I suspected it was intercepted, she replied then, that the package would be brought back to me and that any allegations should be done in a civil court.
    Then I consider, this service (certified, return receipt and to addressee only is a fraud). I threw my money away.
    I’m trying to track down where is the parcel/document, because it’s going to be about a month since the USPS made contact.

Any Help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    GBO

1. I needed to cosompe you one very small remark to be able to say thanks a lot again on the wonderful tricks you’ve featured in this case. It has been really strangely open-handed of people like you to make unhampered just what numerous people would’ve supplied as an electronic book to get some dough for themselves, most importantly considering the fact that you might well have done it if you wanted. These inspiring ideas also acted to become a great way to understand that some people have similar fervor similar to my very own to learn a whole lot more with regard to this issue. I am sure there are lots of more enjoyable periods in the future for folks who discover your blog.

2. You got to write a blog on USPS recent outrageous international shipping rate. They eliminated the international surface shipping in 2007, and now (Jan 27 2013) increased international 1st class and priority rate 50% to 100%, which will eventually kills a lot of small business needs international shipping. Why shipping to Ontario Canada is like 5 times more expensive than shipping to Michigan is unknown. USPS boasted that they are independent of government support financially, but they are not, they get a huge tax relief from Federal government.

1. Almost every business doing business in America that isn’t a small business gets tax credits from the government. This includes farmers, financial institutions, car manufactures, oil industries. You would be hard pressed to find a company that doesn’t receive some sort of tax incentive or subsidy.

3. Their new improved tracking is even worse than their old tracking. They have consistently not updated before delivery on almost every package I have ordered since the change. I have one package I expect Tomorrow that is still showing in the town it left from.